Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fight jet lag by not eating, think that will work?

I read a news article this week that said a good cure for jet lag is to fast 16 hours before the flight and then eat a normal meal schedule once you land. This apparently works by throwing off your internal clock and when you start eating again it starts back up. I am tempted to try it next week since we leave the US at 5pm and arrive in Rome around 8am. I think with some fasting and an Ambien on the flight I could be ready to go 100% on that first day. I haven't seen anyone say that they have tried it and it works yet though. I have found a ton of jet lag diets online though.

The last few trips, jet lag has really killed the first day. Last year on our first day in Berlin my wife and I were both pretty exhausted from the flight. With it also raining, our first day was terrible. Berlin still managed to be one our favorite cities so far. This year we have also planned on our first day not being as filled but I hate to waste time traveling with naps.

I also wonder, is this a ploy by the airlines to cut costs just a little more? "Hey, maybe we can convince all those already profitable international travelers to not eat on the flights and save a little more. We should fund a study!" You never know...

No comments: