Monday, June 2, 2008

The World's Most Impressive Subways

Check out the Wired gallery of the world's most impressive subways. I've been on a few of these but unfortunately none of the best of the best which are in Asia (someday!). I've ridden on Atlanta's MARTA, D.C.'s Metro, Chicago's L, New York's subway, London's Underground, Paris' Metro, Mexico City's Metro, Berlin's S-Bahn, Munich's U-Bahn and Vienna's U-Bahn. I love mass transit!

Unfortunately while in Berlin we never took the U-Bahn. We did explore the ghost station in Berlin though. There are a few other systems I've not had the opportunity to check out even though I've been in the city. Those systems include Boston's MBTA, Berlin's U-Bahn, Glasgow and Frankfurt. There may be others I've forgotten. Also, I didn't even know there were subways in Glasgow and Frankfurt but then neither were actual destinations, just transportation points.

Every subway system has it's own very distinct character. I haven't been on one I didn't like yet but my favorite so far has to be Paris. It is efficient and super cheap. Mexico City also has a super cheap, large and well organized (although crowded) system. London's was the most expensive from what I remember. It was about $4 each way! Most I have been on charge a flat single fare for each way (I don't always remember because we often buy an all you can ride for a day/week pass) but some like in D.C. charge based on your origin and destination points. The little differences are interesting.

Remembering Berlin also reminded me of a very different concept in European public transportation: the honor system. On most of the systems in mainland Europe (not Paris though) we have used, you paid for your fare and kept your ticket but you never had to use a ticket or token to gain access to travel. If you were dishonest, you could easily ride for free. Of course you could also get a hefty fine. The only system I know of like that in the US is was in LA. The free ride is over for them though. I wonder what the rate of non paying riders is in Europe now. Are Americans just more dishonest?

No comments: